VOYAGE (Voice of the Youth and Genuine Empowerment) PROGRAMME
VOYAGE (Voice of the Youth and Genuine empowerment) deliver a number of programmes for young people from BME backgrounds (please note the demographic that we work with is specified by our funders and is also due to the ethos of the charitable trust that we sit under which is the Black Police Associations Charitable Trust). We are currently recruiting for our 2013 -2014 cohort and would like to provide your young people with the opportunity to participate in this ground breaking course.
Young Leaders for Safer Cities, (YLfSC) is currently being delivered free to year 9 students from black and minority ethnic backgrounds. If you are interested in or feel that this programme would be beneficial to the young people that you work with please contact VOYAGE office.
What is Young Leaders for Safer Cities (YLfSC)
- YLfSC is a BTEC Level 2 award achieved after a total of 100 hours of study. This course targets and is delivered to young people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds that are currently in year 9.
- The YLfSC programme commences with a non-residential summer school held over four days in the first two weeks of the summer holidays, followed by taught sessions held once a month predominantly on Saturdays and/or in school holidays) from September 2013 to July 2014.
What will students learn and what are the benefits?
- Students will learn about the issues that impact upon them within their community’s and identify ways to combat these issues, i.e. Violent crime, stop & search and problem solving and assisting the improvement of services from local public and private sector providers to the community. They will also learn about how the world around them works i.e. the understanding and use of the media and political literacy. YLfSC also aims to develop young people’s leadership skills whilst providing them with the confidence to make changes within the community’s where they live and go to school.
- Students on the programme develop personal confidence and knowledge in some areas that are not part of the school curriculum. They also have an additional qualification to add to CV’s when applying for further education and other courses, showing that they have the ability to commit themselves to an extra-curricular year long course to develop their leadership potential.
Who delivers YLfSC
- The YLfSC programme is delivered by VOYAGE (Voice Of Youth And Genuine Empowerment). VOYAGE delivers workshops, session based projects and BTEC Level 2 Young Leaders for Safer Cities programme aimed at Black & Minority Ethnic (BME) youth across Greater London. Our projects encourage Educational Attainment, Personal Development, Leadership, Peer Mentoring and Community Responsibility within Mainstream Education, Social & Criminal Justice and Youth & Community Focused Organisation’s.
- VOYAGE is funded by the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC and is delivered under the auspices of the Black Police Associations Charitable Trust.
- YLfSC tutors are qualified teachers from London Schools.
- All VOYAGE staff are vetted
What qualifications will participants receive?
The exam board Edexcel has recently formally accredited the Young Leaders for Safer Cities course as a Btec qualification.
What do we need from participating schools/youth organisations?
- To allow a member of the VOYAGE team to attend your school/venue and present the programme to a small group of your young people if preferred.
- After the presentation we would ask you to identify those students that would like to participate in the programme or those that you feel that YLfSC would benefit. Then complete the attached student selection form (return via fax to 0207582 4331) and provide them with the literature and application forms to be signed by parents (these will be forwarded to you via email once your school/organisation have expressed an interest in participating in the YLfSC programme.
- Host and organise an YLfSC information session where the VOYAGE team will meet with the parents and the young people who will be attending the programme and complete consent and medical forms.
- Work alongside VOYAGE in encouraging the young people to complete the units within YLFSC and remind them of session dates.
Please do not hesitate to contact the VOYAGE office if you require any further information regarding the programme using the information provided above.
- Horizons personal development and life skills programme (PDF 1984 KB)
- Young leaders for safer city (PDF 2878 KB)
- Young black positive advocates (PDF 38 KB)
Isata Jalloh (Programme Administrator)
Suite LG01, Lincoln House, Kennington Park,
1-3 Brixton Rd, London SW9 6DE
Tel: 0207 820 7228
Fax: 0207 582 4331